Thursday 3 September 2009

Another varroa test and a first attempt to feed...



I am sorry that it has been so long since my last post. In the last few weeks of August with the danger of swarming past, I decided to leave well alone for 2-3 weeks. In the meantime I attended a talk with Frome beekeepers given by Robin on recycling wax. This was excellent and I hope to be able to get some spare wax to start experimenting!

After the talk I got chatting with some of the other members about how and when to feed. Apparently, in this area, it is a good plan to feed before the ivy comes out as otherwise the bees can get too distracted and not take up enough syrup. I therefore put my order in for sugar in bulk - and now have a 25kilo sack sitting in the kitchen.

Liam and I then did one full inspection, and noted down the amount of stores on each frame. We calculated that the bees have 9 pounds worth of stores in the hive - and understand that they need at least 40 to get through the winter.

Before feeding, however, I decided to review the varroa count again. This time I did it for 7.5 days and got 38 mites. According to Defra this calls for light control. We have therefore constructed an eke (OK, Liam constructed an eke) and have decided to treat and feed at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment