Wednesday 3 March 2010

First sighting of pollen

Another inspection, and a quick heft of the hive on Monday revealed more dead bees on the ground but the hive felt heavier (??? can fondant really work this quickly or is this my imagination?!). Looking at the hive entrance, there were also guard bees and plenty of forager bees returning loaded down with an incredibly orange pollen - possibly snowdrop?

Inside, on the crownboard, there was still some fondant left and the bees were clustered around it. From what I could see through the glass partition, bees were extremely active in the brood chamber with bees teeming all over all but 3 frames.

I havent done a full inspection yet - I want to go to a "Disease and Hygiene" talk on thursday at Frome BKA and will ask the experts when they intend to do theirs...

Have just realised that the bee equipment auction at Ruishton falls on Liam's birthday. Tentative questioning has revealed that he does not see this as how he wants to spend his day and so I think it is a case of choosing our hive from Thormes...

NB Until I find my bee notebook (carefully shelved since October), I need to note that I did a varroa check and had a daily mite drop of 1.25 - no concern (yet).

1 comment:

  1. If they are taking the fondant they will be foraging for water and mixing it with the fondant to store it in cells so wyou will see an increase in weight. My bees here are bringing in a yellow pollen and a very orange pollen. I think the orange is probably crocus and the yellow is pussy willow and/or snowdrop, Not sure what colour snowdrop pollen is. I'll see if I can publish a fondant recipe for you on my web server.
    Regards Peter

    ReplyDelete