Wednesday 12 May 2010

Queen Cups and Super Puzzles

We did another routine inspection yesterday as we had been away and left it7 or 8 days since the last one. The weather was not ideal - lots of bees were on the frames rather than out and about - and the light was such I couldnt see into the cells to check for eggs etc.
We saw at least 4 or 5 Queen Cups - little "acorns" on the edge of some of the frames. It was almost impossible to see if they had anything in them although I don't think there was... We have marked the frames with a pin and will check again on Friday. I am now wondering if I should have destroyed them? But I want the bees to start developing Queen cells!

One thing that I found puzzling was the first super. Last time I checked, it was almost full but not sealed. This time, some of the centre frames had no honey on the middle - ie empty cells. I am convinved last time these were full - would the bees start consuming honey from the super? Even if they had ample stores in the brood chamber?

The bees were also having a good nibble at the brood frames - why do they do this? The super is definitely a concern though - nothing is capped - but it feels like a diminishing crop rather than an increasing one! (And needless to say - nothing in the second super yet...I knew I shouldnt have bothered!)

3 comments:

  1. Given the dodgy weather and crazily delayed spring this year, it's quite possible that as the colony expands it becomes "forage negative" in the the bees collect less than they consume and the honey stores will reduce. I would not be surprised to see this at present: though it's not an especially encouraging thing to see it's likely just a function of the environment.

    Regarding the queen cells, that's a big subject, and one which I am only starting to get to grips with myself. I've had some fun and games recently, and just split one of my colonies into 2 hives: one with the old queen (I think!) and the other with a frame with queen cells on. Keep reading and asking your local experienced beeks for their opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! Have just had an email from Robin (who sold me my bees) and he echoed what you have just said. Apparently the bees may be hungry in this cold weather we are having and will take stores wherever they can remove them from most easily. I guess as the stores in the brood box are mostly sealed, the ones in the super are an easier option...
    Robin also thinks I have reduced the swarming instinct / need of the bees by having the super on early. We live and learn!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the souinds of it the queen cups are on the bottom edges of the frames? If so these are typically termed as swarm cells and indicate possible swarming probably due to overcrowding in the brood box/es. Once the swarming process has started it is somewhat difficult to stop. If you are going to split you will want to get some frames with queen cells on them once they are capped and also some frames of capped and uncapped brood to make up the split. If you then destroy the remaining queen cells the old queen and 1/2 the remaining bees may still swarm anyway leaving the old hive queenless so you may want to leave a couple in there. Adding a couple of bait traps in the near vicinity may allow you to capture any swarms so you could actually end up with 3 hives.

    ReplyDelete