Monday 24 May 2010

Super Number Three


It's incredible. In my last post, I mentioned (somewhat sarcastically) that the bees had been spotted in the second Super. Now, in less than a week, it is full. On Saturday, Liam and I hastily constructed a 3rd Super and put it on the hive, and in our inspection yesterday, some of the frames have been partially drawn out and nectar and pollen deposited.

I am no longer even worrying about them capping the frames. David, who dropped by to deliver the Somerset Beekeeping Association's newsletter, pointed out that the honey needs time to settle and "mature" before they will cap it. And, if it is oilseed rape honey, which as the picture shows, it could well be, I will need to take it off the minute the rape stops flowering regardless of cappings anyway!

A full bee inspection yesterday resulted in one sting (me), a sighting of the Queen, and a new Queen cup - this time with egg. Inevitably, this has happened just as it is least convenient. We have worked out that if we check the hive on Friday we SHOULD be just in time to avoid the worst happening. Fingers crossed.

And of course, we have now run out of supers. Back in March, 3 Supers seemed positively decadent. I am hoping to order one and pick it up at the Bath and West show.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you... What a difference a few fine days make! All the best, Cliff

    ReplyDelete