Tuesday 16 June 2009

Day 2 - Checking the new arrivals


Although both Liam and I kept going and looking at the bees at intervals yesterday and this morning, neither of us had actually put our bee suits on and gone and had a proper look close up.
Mindful of Robin's advice to check the bees were finding their way back and bringing in pollen, I decided to go and make sure.

The first thing I noticed was how loud the hum was - maybe because it is such a small hive, you can hear it more? I also saw that although not every bee was bringing back pollen, some were returning absolutely loaded down - which I think you can see in the photo.

Lastly, sods law, the area which Liam and I had painstakingly cleared to give the bees a good direct flight path over the neighbouring field is being completely ignored. Instead, the bees are flying behind the hive, and up between a very overgrown hazel hedge and a copper beech (it must be a gap of all of 3 feet). It doesnt matter - at least they are flying up and out of the way of anyone who might walk along the road behind, but it does mean that we pollarded at least 8 foot of hedge for absolutely no reason!!

No comments:

Post a Comment