Wednesday 24 June 2009

Quick Update...

Today has been a bit manic and we ended up checking the hive at 5pm rather than at lunchtime. There was quite a big difference with far more bees in the hive. Liam managed to spot the Queen. I am not sure if I am just very blind or if it is because I am the one always holding the frame... I did manage to spot a quantity of fluffy new bees, however, which were quite cute. Once agian we removed a profusion of bridge comb (still havent managed to find out why so much).

We then checked the frames we had turned and both sides of the foundation are now beautifully drawn out. We are going away this weekend and we took the decision to add four new frames - two on each side of the brood nest - instead of two, as we were worried they might run out of space. Not sure if that was the right thing to do, (although we saw plenty of bees already on the extra frames behind the dummy board anyway) but time will tell.

Next inspection on Monday and I am determined to remember to measure the opening at the back of the hive so that I can do a varroa check.

No comments:

Post a Comment